Well, it was supposed to be slow cooker ziti but then again, it was supposed to have sausage and eggplant too. That’s what happens in our kitchen. I swore I had ziti and it was penne (close enough right?!). Then my eggplant was rotten even though I *just* bought it the day before. And sausage… well we don’t eat sausage so I knew I was replacing that with ground turkey meat.
I tend to get very inspired by many recipe books, magazines, and blogs but always end up creating something a bit more FITsSimple style, plus it never hurts to make it 21 Day Fix Meal Plan approved!
So, now I present to you my Slow Cooker, Fired Roasted Tomato, Fennel, Spinach + Turkey Penne “Baked Ziti”. Haha. Whatever. It’s good so try it out and come back to let me know what you think!
Slow Cooker Ziti
- 1 lb - Ground Turkey
- 3 Cups - Baby Spinach
- 1 Large - Fennel Bulb
- 1 (15 oz) - Can Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) - Can Tomato Sauce
- 2 - Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp - Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup - Water
- 8 oz - Dried Cut Ziti or Penne Pasta
- 1/4 Cup - Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 8 oz - Fresh Mozzarella
- In a large skillet, brown ground turkey meat over medium-high heat. Drain fat. Combine turkey, fennel, tomatoes, spinach, tomato sauce, water, garlic, and seasoning in a 5-6 quart slow cook. Cover and cook on low-heat for 6-7 hours or high-heat 3 hours.
- If using low-heat, turn to high and stir in dry pasta and basil. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes. Stir pasta, sprinkle mozzarella, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Let stand, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle basil on top and ENJOY!
- 1 Red - Ground Turkey
- 2 Green - Fennel, Tomatoes, Spinach
- 0.5 Purple - Tomato Sauce
- 1 Yellow - Ziti
- 1 Blue - Mozzarella