Sometimes, I’m just not in the mood for the heavy feeling that pizza crust can leave behind after enjoy a couple slices. Using alternatives like pita bread, flatbread, or zucchini definitely helps but this time I decided to use portobello mushroom caps! Oh man… these were good and gone in about 5 minutes! Now I just need to learn to practice mindful eating techniques like SLOWING down and savoring each bite! It was just too good!
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- 6 Portobello Mushrooms (stems removed and gills removed)
- Cherry Tomatoes (sliced in half)
- Pizza Sauce
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Homemade Pizza Sauce Alternative
- 1 can - All Natural Tomato Sauce (No Sugar Added)
- 1 tsp - Dried Basil
- 1 tsp - Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp - Garlic Powder
- A few turns of Himalayan Salt
- Preheat broiler.
- Dress the mushroom caps with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil on both side and season with salt and pepper. Broil the portobello mushrooms 5 minutes on each side until tender.
- While mushrooms are broiling, add tomatoes to a skillet and cook on medium a few minutes until they burst.
- Remove mushrooms from the oven. Layer sauce, basil leaves, cheese and tomatoes. Broil an additional 5 minutes and ENJOY.
- If you like an extra little kick, sprinkle some crushed red peppers on top. So good.
- 21 Day Fix Approved Equivalents (you'll need to measure per your plan)
- Green = Mushrooms & Tomatoes
- Purple = Sauce
- Blue = Mozzarella
- Tsp = Oil
- FREE = Basil