One of the hardest things to do when transitioning to a healthier/cleaner lifestyle is getting your family on board. Am I right?
Changing your kids palette is HARD! I’ve worked with a ton of people that often struggle with this.
“What will my kids eat?”
“My husband/wife won’t eat that?!”
“I don’t want to make 3 dinners!”
I totally get it! I was definitely there too so I thought I’d give you a few tips to ease into the process.
1. SLOWLY REMOVE unhealthy options from the house. This is a process. It will likely take months but the way we tackled it was once the unhealthy item was gone, we didn’t repurchase it. This was by far the easiest and fastest way to converting our kitchen. Once it is out of sight, it really does become out of mind and when you replace it with a healthier alternative it forces their hand to reach for that instead.
2. GIVE THEM OPTIONS. This morning, the girls could have hummus and pretzels, lunch meat, cheese, and crackers, or double decker salads. When all the options are healthy, there’s no bad choice and I’ve found kids LOVE to eat what they decide on or what they make which brings me to #3.
3. GET THEM INVOLVED with choosing and cooking their food. making it a hands on process is exciting. When you shop, have them make their list and choose a new food from the produce section! It makes them excited about learning new foods and seeing if they like it.
4. DON’T BE SELECTIVE. Just because you don’t like something, doesn’t mean they won’t. I actually love #3 because in the beginning, it was really easy to just brush a few things aside because I didn’t like them but what I’ve found is that they have different palettes than me and there are foods they enjoy that I would have never thought of.
5. DON’T FEAR CHANGE! I know it’s easy to get caught up in the “well, what if” mindset but I’m telling you, kids can change and so can you. It will take time but it is not impossible.