One of the reasons I love the 21 Day Fix program so much is because it is FLEXIBLE! It really allows you to create an enjoyable lifestyle that is flexible enough nutritionally that you don’t feel guilty over foods like pizza, chocolate, and wine! You heard me, all of those are approved with this plan (of course in moderation) but approved nonetheless.
One of our all time favorite foods to eat is by far PIZZA! So, I decided to share with you our family’s healthy, kid friendly, and 21 Day Fix approved pizza recipe!
Grilled Pita Pizza
- 1 Whole Wheat Pita
- 2-3 Tbsp of Homemade Pizza Sauce (see recipe below)
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Handful of Spinach Leaves
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1/2 Pear, sliced
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes (about 2 cups chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- A half shallot, chopped
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, no sugar added, low sodium is best (optional)
- Salt (to taste)
- You really can't go wrong here. You can even change up the toppings but the best part is how you cook it... break out the GRILL!
- Spread a little dab of oil on the bottom of the pita to prevent sticking to the grill. Layer sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Place directly on grill over medium heat and monitor frequently to prevent burning the crust. It only takes 5-10 minutes depending on your grill temperature.
- 1 Yellow = Pita pocket
- 1/2 Purple (if even that) = Sauce
- 1 Blue = Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 Green = Spinach and Tomato
- 1/2 Purple = Pear slices